Cooling System Tips
There are a multitude of savings available in operating cooling systems
- Change once through cooling to 2 cycle changes-50% savings
- Change 2 cycles to 3 cycles-additional 16% savings
- Change 3 cycles to 4 cycles-additional 9% savings
- A hot well/cold well system can save recirculating pump time.
- Install a water meter on system discharge to sewer as well as makeup to the system. Sewer charge could be reduced. In cities this could mean as much as $3.00 or more for every 1,000 gallons of water.
Plate type heat exchanger in cooling system
- Clean deposits between fill.
- Clean tower troughs or tower pans which distribute water at top of tower. Make sure that distribution is uniform to the fill below. Make sure that water is not running over the top or side or prematurely off troughs and that water is distributed throughout total length of trough or pan.
- Clean filters on recirculation pumps/Keep system clean.
- Keep chiller tubes clean-Deposits cause significant energy loss.
- Tubes should be brushed or acid cleaned if deposit is severe enough.
- Fouled systems impede free water flow and cover areas where corrosion as a result occur. Clean systems prevent “under deposit” corrosion.
- The nature of “deposits” may be of corrosion, mineral scale or micro biological growths. Corrosion products appear somewhat like a deposit, but are caused by reaction of the metal with the oxygen in the presence of water and other reactants present in water.